MARKET SNAPSHOT –
- SPI200 futures closed up 35 pts to 5670
- SP500 futures closed up 4.00 pts to 2425
- FTSE100 futures closed up 70.50 pts to 7313
- DAX30 futures closed down 152.50 pts to 12472.50
- GOLD finished down $22.80 to $1219.50 an ounce
- COPPER futures finished down $2.20 to $268.90 a pound
- OIL futures finished up $1.01 to $47.05 a barrel
- CRB Index finished up 1.41 pts to 177.96
- AUDUSD trading at 0.7655
- EURUSD trading at 1.1362
- GBPUSD trading at 1.2937
- USDJPY trading at 113.3800
The US ending the first trading day for the new quarter up slightly in a shortened session into the 4th July holiday. European shares were strong as continued talk of interest rate hikes and the idea central banks including the European Central Bank could move away from stimulus measures all boosted bank stocks. The US Treasury yields hit their highest in more than eight years showing a positive outlook for rates and supports the Fed Reserves view of another potential rate hike later this year.
The USD was stronger against a basket of major currencies as Bond Yields gained. The stronger dollar put pressure on the EURO and Pound along with the AUD.
Gold fell out of the sky to close down around 1.8% as the global outlook looks positive. Oil was a big gainer close up over a dollar as US output slows.
The ASX200 is expected to open up around 30 points as the SPI200 gains overnight pushing up off technical support.
ECONOMIC DATA OUT TODAY (AEDT) –
JPY Monetary Base 9:50am
AUD Retail Sales 11:30am
AUD RBA Rate Statement and Cash Rate 2:30am
JPY BOY Core CPI 3pm
GBP Construction PMI 6:30pm
EUR PPI 7pm
USD Bank Holiday
ASX200 INTRADAY LEVELS TO WATCH –